The only thing standing between clean eating and quiche is that flaky, buttery crust, which sometimes weighs down the delicate dish.Now it's taken it away completely, letting the multi-colored vegetables hold court.
- 2 cups eggplant, chopped (about 1/4-inch cubes)
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped (about 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped (about 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 artichoke hearts, chopped (water-packed and drained from jar or thawed from frozen)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, torn in pieces
- 3/4 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté egg-plant, zucchini, bell pepper, onion and garlic in oil for 10 minutes. Then turn off heat and gently fold artichokes into vegetable mixture.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk egg, egg whites, milk, black pepper, thyme and oregano. Add egg mixture, basil and mozzarella to vegetable mixture. Gently stir until eggs and mozzarella are evenly distributed among vegetables.
- Mist an 8-inch round or square glass pan with cooking spray. Pour in egg-vegetable mixture. Place in oven and cook for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes to set quiche.
Nutrients per serving (1/5 quiche): Calories: 190, Total Fat: 5 g, Sat. Fat: 1.5 g, Carbs: 22 g, Fiber: 9 g, Sugars: 11 g, Protein: 15 g, Sodium: 280 mg, Cholesterol: 55 mg