Makes 4 servings
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon dried oregano or dill
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pound fully-ripened tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 large green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 large cucumber, peeled, coarsely chopped
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1. In a small bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, salt and pepper.
2. In a medium-sized bowl combine tomatoes, bell pepper and cucumber with half of the olive oil mixture.
3. Place chicken breast halves and the remaining half of the marinade in a large resealable plastic bag and seal bag. Turn to coat chicken completely with marinade. Marinate the tomato mixture and the chicken for 15 minutes or, refrigerated, up to 24 hours.
4. Just before serving, preheat grill or broiler. Grill chicken breast halves, brushing occasionally with the marinade until golden on both sides and cooked through, about 7 minutes. Remove chicken to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes. Cut into thick slices.
5. Spoon fresh tomato salad onto serving plates and arrange chicken slices on top. Serve with rice, if desired.
Note: For the best tasting tomatoes, keep tomatoes at room temperature away from sunlight. Do not refrigerate tomatoes because the cold will inhibit the flavor. April and May are the best times to purchase tomatoes.